The Italian peppers in oil recipe is a classic Italian meal that has gained popularity as a starter or side dish across the world. This easy-to-make dish is packed with flavor thanks to the combination of roasted peppers, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes with the richness of extra-virgin olive oil.
There are several preparation options for Italian Peppers in Oil. You may eat them by themselves, throw them in a salad, or use them as a topping for pizzas or sandwiches. You may also serve them as an appetizer with some crusty bread, some cheese, and some cured meats.
Let’s jump right into the Italian Peppers in Oil Recipe and prepare them with us!
Italian Peppers in Oil Recipe
Italian Peppers in Oil is a versatile and tasty dish that exemplifies the quality and simplicity of Italian cuisine. It is ideal for preserving summer flavors and adding a dash of Mediterranean flavor to your table.
Let’s know the Italian Peppers in Oil Recipe so you can enjoy it too!
- Preparation – 25 Mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Total: 1 hour 10 mins
- 6 large bell peppers (a mix of red, yellow, and green)
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit (200° Celsius).
- Rinse and towel dry the peppers. Remove the seeds and stems before slicing them in half longitudinally.
- Place the peppers on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and cut side down. 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven or until the skins are blistered and faintly seared.
- Place the peppers in a wide basin after removing them from the oven. Cover the basin with plastic wrap and allow the peppers to chill for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Once the peppers have cooled, discard the shells with your fingertips. Thinly slice the bell peppers and set them aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes and sauté for two to three minutes, or until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Stir the pepper segments with the oil in the saucepan. Season to flavor with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the peppers for 10 to 15 minutes over low heat or until tender and infused with garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Take the peppers off the flame and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Enjoy your delicious Italian Peppers in Oil!
How to Store Leftover Italian Peppers in Oil Recipe:
Transfer any leftover Italian Peppers in Oil to a clean, hermetic container with a secure lid. For this purpose, glass canisters with a screw-on or clamp-on lid work well. To prevent the peppers from drying out and developing fungi, ensure the oil covers them completely.
Once the peppers have been preserved in the container, they can be refrigerated for up to two weeks. However, it is important to note that it is normal for the oil to coagulate in the refrigerator. To use the peppers, remove the jar from the refrigerator and allow it to remain at room temperature for a few minutes so the oil can become liquid again.
It is not recommended to freeze Italian Peppers in Oil because the chilling procedure can alter the texture and flavor of the peppers.
Tips For Italian Peppers in Oil Recipe:
- Use ripe and vibrant peppers.
- The chiles should be roasted until charred.
- Thinly slice the peppers into segments.
- Utilize a premium extra-virgin olive oil.
- Utilize garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes in moderation.
- Marinate the peppers for at least 24 hours.
What to Serve With Italian Peppers in Oil Recipe?
Italian Peppers in Oil can be served in a number of different ways. They can be used as a side dish, an addition to salads, or a topping for pizzas or sandwiches. As an aperitif, they pair well with crusty bread, cheese, and cured meats. In addition, this oil can be used to flavor other foods or as a bread-dipping marinade.
We hope you like the Italian Peppers in Oil Recipe. Let us know your thoughts & suggestions.
Thank you for reading!