Chicken Biscuits and Gravy is a traditional Southern comfort food dish known for its robust, delicious tastes and ability to please at any time of day. Flaky buttermilk biscuits are topped with a thick and creamy sauce prepared with chopped chicken and spices.
Chicken Biscuits with Gravy is a meal that can be served for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner. A traditional Southern breakfast, it is frequently served with eggs, hash potatoes, or other breakfast foods. Whether you’ve been a fan of this meal for a long time or are tasting it for the first time, it’s likely to become a family favorite.
Let’s jump right into the Recipe for Chicken Biscuits and Gravy.
Recipe for Chicken Biscuits and Gravy
This delicacy has a deep cultural and historical significance in Southern cuisine. It is a staple cuisine in many Southern households and restaurants and is often associated with comfort, tenderness, and hospitality. This dish is a must-try for the foodies, regardless of whether you are preparing it for yourself or a large group.
Let’s know the whole Recipe for Chicken Biscuits and Gravy so that you can enjoy it too!
- Preparation – 35 Mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Total: 55 mins
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Get the oven up to temperature, preferably 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- The chicken breasts should be seasoned with salt and pepper. Brown and fry the chicken in a big pan over medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes per side, using 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and leave it aside for a while. Cut the chicken into small pieces when it has cooled.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and pepper. The butter should be chopped in using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture has the texture of coarse sand.
- Mix in the buttermilk until a dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for a minute or two on a floured surface. Use a biscuit cutter or a tumbler to carve biscuits from dough that has been rolled to a thickness of 1 inch.
- Bake the biscuits for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- While the biscuits are in the oven, make the gravy. In the same skillet used to sauté the chicken, combine 1/4 cup of flour and 2 cups of whole milk with a whisk. Continuously agitate the mixture over medium heat until it thickens and reaches a simmer.
- Stir the chicken into the gravy after it has been added. Season to flavor with salt and pepper.
- Serve the biscuits with a spoonful of chicken gravy on top. Enjoy!
How to Store Leftover Chicken Biscuits and Gravy:
Allow the Chicken Biscuits and Gravy to settle to room temperature before pouring them to an opaque container or wrapping it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to three to four days or freeze for up to two to three months.
Reheat the chicken gravy in the microwave or on the cooktop while adding a dash of milk or chicken broth to thin it. Next, reheat the biscuits in the microwave or oven.
Tips For Chicken Biscuits and Gravy:
- Always use freshly cooked chicken, flour, butter, milk, and spices for the finest results.
- Before putting the chicken in the oven, season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika to give it more flavor.
- Biscuits can become rough if the dough is worked for too long. The dough is ready when the components are mixed together.
- Biscuits may be made flaky and soft using cold butter without overmixing the dough.
- While you’re waiting for the biscuits to bake, make the gravy and keep it warm over low heat. Flavors will mellow, and the gravy won’t thicken up if you do this.
- Add extra milk or chicken broth if the gravy is too thick. If the consistency is too watery, flour or cornstarch slurry and water can be added.
What to Serve With Recipe for Chicken Biscuits and Gravy?
Chicken biscuits and gravy can be served with a variety of sides, such as salad, coleslaw, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, sautéed greens, fried eggs, and cornbread. Pick one or two sides to complement the entrée for a well-rounded supper.
We hope you like the Recipe for Chicken Biscuits and Gravy. Let us know your thoughts & suggestions.
Thank you for reading!