Pineapple upside-down cake is a time-honored delicacy that has been savored for generations. A layer of caramelized pineapple segments and maraschino cherries sit in this simple but delectable cake atop a delicate and fluffy cake. It is ideal for celebrations, potlucks, or simply as a delectable delight with a cup of coffee or tea.
The pineapple lends an acidic sweetness, while the cherries offer a pop of color and taste. The caramelized sugar on top gives the cake a somewhat crunchy texture as well as a rich caramel taste that complements the soft and fluffy cake wonderfully.
Let’s jump into the Recipe for pineapple upside-down cake from Scratch.
Recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Scratch
The Pineapple Upside-Down Cake is a timeless classic that has endured the test of time. Due to its simplicity, sweetness, and comforting characteristics, it is a popular delicacy. A layer of caramelized pineapple segments and maraschino cherries sit in this simple but delectable cake atop a delicate and fluffy cake.
Let’s know the whole Recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Scratch so that you can enjoy it too!
- Preparation – 25 Mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Total: 1 hour 10 mins
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can pineapple rings (20 oz), drained and juice reserved
- Maraschino cherries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Spray or lubricate a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over the medium heat. Then, stir in the brown sugar until it is fully dissolved. Place the pineapple rings and maraschino cherries in the prepared cake pan on top of the batter.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder all together in a medium bowl.
- In a different bowl, beat the veggie shortening and powdered sugar together for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is light & fluffy. Then, add the eggs one by one and mix well after each one. Add the vanilla extract to the mix.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the saved pineapple juice and milk, until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan with the pineapple rings already in it and spread it out evenly.
- Bake the cake for around 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake chill for 5 minutes in the pan, then flip the pan over onto a serving plate to get the cake out. Serve at room temperature or warm.
How to Store Leftover Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
Before storing the cake, allow it to cool fully. Then, you can serve it in the cake pan or in an airtight container. Cover the cake in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it fresh. Make careful to securely cover it to prevent air from seeping in. The cake may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. The chilly temperature will aid in the preservation of the cake’s freshness.
Remove the remaining cake from the refrigerator and set it aside at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes to enable it to come to room temperature. The cake may also be reheated in the microwave or oven. Place a slice on a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 10-15 seconds to warm.
Tips For Recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Scratch:
- If feasible, use fresh pineapple slices, as tinned pineapple may be too soft and moist for the cake. Before using tinned pineapple, rinse it thoroughly.
- For optimal results, use a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet or cake pan. This will aid in the cake’s even cooking and easy removal from the pan.
- Before adding the pineapple slices and cherries, melt the butter and brown sugar until a rich, bubbling caramel forms. This will aid in the creation of an ideal gooey cake topping.
- Make sure to use room-temperature components for the cake batter, particularly the eggs, and milk. This will make combining the ingredients and creating a uniform and airy mixture easier.
- Do not overmix the mixture for the cake. Blend the ingredients until they are combined to prevent a dense cake.
What to Serve With Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Scratch?
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is delectable on its own, but you can enhance its flavor by serving it with condiments. The addition of whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, fresh berries, and coffee or tea can lend flavor, refreshment, or balance to the dessert.
We hope you like the Recipe. Let us know your thoughts & suggestions.
Thank you for reading!